Cutter Flying Service Taylorcraft BC-12
First Albuquerque Visit: 1941
The Taylorcraft B is a lightweight single-engine, high-wing general aviation monoplane with two side-by-side seats built by the Taylorcraft Aviation Corporation in Alliance, Ohio from the late 1930s to the early 1940s.
The Model B was constructed in large numbers and was available for delivery from the factory as a land plane or a floatplane. The fuselage was constructed with welded steel tubing and was covered with doped aircraft fabric. The wings are supported with steel-tube struts.
Cutter Flying Service Inc. was founded in 1928 by William P. Cutter in Albuquerque, NM to serve an upcoming aviation community in the Southwestern United States. Cutter, during the Great Depression and World War II, provided needed air charter service to reach ranches, towns and businesses scattered across the rugged landscape of New Mexico, Arizona and Texas. In 1938, Cutter offered aircraft sales, line, and fuel services to transient pilots as a Phillips 66 Aviation fuel dealer, and provided aircraft maintenance to support the growing number of aircraft in the Southwest.
At the outbreak of World War II, when much of General Aviation and the businesses that supported it came to a halt, Cutter Flying Service became a pilot training provider for the United States military to stay in business from 1941 to 1945. In addition to basic flight training, many pilots were trained for glider operations.
The U.S. Navy designated Cutter as a Naval Air Training School as part of the Civilian Pilot Training Program (CPTP) at its primary business location at the West Mesa Airport in Albuquerque. Cutter used the Taylorcraft BC-12 as one of the aircraft at the West Mesa Airport to train pilots in this program. The aircraft numbers recorded at Albuquerque in 1941 are N-23687, N-29711, N-24305, N-36229, N-29850 and N-29578.
SEARCH OUR DATABASE: