FAA Convair CV-580 Metropolitan
First Albuquerque Visit: 1966
The Convair CV-580 used by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) began as the American airliner CV-240 manufactured by Convair from 1947 to 1954, initially as a possible replacement for the popular Douglas DC-3. Featuring a modernized design with cabin pressurization, the 240 series made some inroads as a commercial airliner, and had a long development cycle that produced various civil and military variants.
Conversion to the CV-580 began with a Convair CV-340 or CV-440 aircraft and the upgrade to two Allison 501 D13D/H turboprop engines with four-blade propellers in place of piston engines with three-blade propellers, an enlarged vertical fin, and modified horizontal stabilizers. The conversions were performed by Pacific Airmotive on behalf of the Allison Engine Company.
With the new turboprop engines, this aircraft, home based in Oklahoma City, was used to evaluate electronic navigation on fixed and airborne equipment throughout New Mexico in 1966 and frequently stopped at Albuquerque when in the state. The aircraft documented at Albuquerque participating in these evaluations include numbers N-102 and N-91.
SEARCH OUR DATABASE: