Seven-Bar Luscombe Model 8C Silvaire Deluxe
First Albuquerque Visit: 1947
The Luscombe 8, designed and built by Luscombe Aircraft in 1937, was a series of high-wing two seat monoplanes. The Luscombe Model 8C Silvaire Deluxe is a Model 8A powered by a 75 hp Continental A-75 engine. Luscombe Aircraft closed in 1949 and its assets were purchased by US based Temco Aircraft. Temco built about 50 additional Silvaires before selling the rights to the Silvaire Aircraft Corporation in 1955.
Albuquerque resident Albert Black and his family built a dirt strip runway on the family ranch west of the city in 1947. Black’s goal was to build an aviation company from the ground up that focused on safety, quality, and personalized customer service. Black had recently returned from World War II and wanted a business that would initially provide flight instruction. Seven Bar Flying Service began operating with two dirt runways and offered flight training, aircraft tie-down, and refueling services. After Black’s son Rolfe joined the company, Seven Bar expanded their services into aircraft sales, charter, maintenance, and eventually air medical services at what eventually became also known as the Alameda Airport. In 1969 Rolfe Black became president of the company.
In the 1970s, Seven Bar Aviation began to focus on finding more innovative ways to deliver air medical flight services to hospitals in New Mexico and in the mid-1990s they moved their headquarters to Dallas with the goal of expanding services for the air medical community.
In 1947, this Luscombe Silvaire Deluxe, N 1585K, was the first aircraft Seven Bar Flying Service purchased to be used for flight training services at the Alameda Airport.
SEARCH OUR DATABASE: