TWA Douglas DC-2
Trans World Airlines
First Albuquerque Visit: 1934
The Douglas DC-2 came out as the replacement aircraft to supply airlines for the Ford Tri-Motors. Having using the DC-1 as prototype, flying test routes and giving the airlines there feedback, Douglas designers made improvements and the DC-2 has born. TWA bought the first aircraft numbered NC13722 and began service in 1934. The DC-2 fostered the growth of the airline by carrying more cargo and passengers providing faster service at cheaper operating costs. TWA started regularly scheduled service to Albuquerque with the DC-2 number NC13728 in March 1934.
The DC-2 was soon replaced by the airlines in 1937 with the newer and larger DC-3. When WWII started in 1941, many DC-3’s were confiscated by the Air Corps and flew military missions leaving the DC-2’s to the airlines. After the war ended, the DC-3’s were returned by the military to the airlines. TWA then began acquiring the larger DC-4 and Lockheed Constellation to support the demand of passenger loads with the war being over.
The first photo below is one of only surviving DC-2’s flying today.
The wreckage seen below is a TWA DC-2 that crashed in Manzanos Mountains near the west end of the Edgewood area and on the south side of old Route US 66 in the mid 1930’s. The NC # is unknown. The cause appears that water was in the gas it had received when being refueled during its scheduled stop at the West Mesa Airport on the west side of Albuquerque. A Storm flooded the fuel pit causing water to back up into storage tank via a fuel vent. The aircraft was salvaged and returned to service.
The final photo shows a couple of restored Douglas aircraft flying together. The DC-2 is in foreground with a DC-3.
SEARCH OUR DATABASE: